Stop 14: Historic Downtown Ennis Churches

McKinney & Baylor


Welcome to Stop 14 of the Rales, Bales and Bluebonnet Trails historic downtown Ennis walking tour. Baylor Street from Dallas to Preston Street is a wall of churches separating the commercial historic downtown Ennis from the Northside residential historic district. Most of the current church buildings replaced earlier structures because World War II brought economic prosperity and the returning veterans who brought new life to many congregations. The wall of churches begins with the First Baptist Church at Dallas Street that was organized in 1873 and built an elegant building around 1920 that was destroyed by a tornado. The next in line is First Methodist church across the street with its entrance on Sherman. First Methodist was first formed in 1872 on South Dallas Street behind City Hall but moved here in 1949On the site of the All-State Insurance office on the south side of Baylor at Sherman was the first Christian Church. It was organized in 1876 at the corner of Clay Street and Ennis Avenue but moved here in 1913 and stood till the 1970s. Baylor Baptist is in the next block from Sherman to Preston Street. It was originally St. Joseph, Ennis’s first Catholic church and stood on the west side of Preston at Baylor. It was damaged in a tornado and replaced by Holy Redeemer across Preston Street where Baylor Baptist is now. The current Baylor Baptist church was formed/built in 1960.